Automated tray storage offers greater flexibility at NIEHOFF with IGZ as general contractor
As a long-standing, family-run business with a knack for innovation, the NIEHOFF engineering works produces wire-drawing plant for the wire and cable industry. To meet the challenge of future growth, a multi-phase construction project was initiated for a new factory and office premises in Schwabach, whose logistical centre is represented by an automated tray warehouse with over 8,000 storage bins. NIEHOFF decided to bring IGZ onto the project as a general manager overseeing the in-house logistics deliverables.
The groundwork for future success was laid as early as the planning phase: open issues concerning the dimensioning of the automated warehouse were resolved with the experience and planning simulation offered by IGZ (stacker crane layout, loop vs. crosswise travel for carts, buffer lane capacity,…).
To integrate the tray storage and manual storage areas with the in-house logistics serving the production area, IGZ took on the role of general coordinator and system integrator for NIEHOFF. The approach now implemented means the aisles are simple to extend in the future.
- Logistics planning and planning simulation
- Identification of key performance indicators and dimensioning of the system technology
- Accompaniment of the tender procedure and bidding comparison
- Advice/recommendation on the choice of the system technology
- Implementation of warehouse management and material flow control with SAP LES/TRM (SAP Logistics Executions System/SAP Task and Resource Management)
- Implementation monitoring
- Assessment of performance and acceptance
- Integration responsibility for all in-house logistics tools
- Automated tray storage systems
- Radio frequency infrastructure
- Connected peripheral equipment (MDCs, printers, etc.)
The overall solution supports all logistics processes, from goods receipt, replenishment, production supply and picking to spare parts supply for customer service. On peak days, over 4,000 trays can be stored and retrieved via the dynamic tray warehouse.
The stacker cranes are designed to move 255 trays/h. Thanks to the success of the overall project, NIEHOFF has laid the foundations for further growth.
"IGZ was a reliable and
trustworthy general coordinator."
Back to overview