- automated warehouse control
- batch tracing
- direct SAP-PLC data link
- SAP EWM
- SAP HUM
- SAP MFS
IGZ delivered on time and on budget and implemented the project to the customer's utmost satisfaction.
Rainer Lüdeke | Managing Director serv.io GmbH
Saturn Petcare GmbH
PERFORMANCE AND FLEXIBILITY WITH SAP EWM AND SAP MFS
A subsidiary of the heristo Group, saturn petcare gmbh has been manufacturing pet food products in all of the market's key segments since 1987. In recent years, the company's core competencies in the canned food segment have been systematically expanded to include dried food, snacks and baked products.
The professional marketing of own-label products has ensured high consumer acceptance and a reliable source of revenue for pet food retailers. The SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management) software suite and integrated SAP Material Flow System (SAP MFS) are valued by saturn petcare and serv.io, the subsidiary responsible for logistics in the heristo Group, as an optimum warehouse management solution.
The solution ensures the competent handling of retail partners' increasingly complex requirements – especially in logistics – which are now increasingly specialised, partly as a result of catering to domestic tastes.
The pet food manufacturer saturn petcare gmbh is headquartered in Bremen and has operations throughout Europe. Formed in 1987, the company is part of the international heristo Group, which operates across four divisions led by the stockmeyer Group, Appel fine foods, the saturn petcare Group and conSup convenience supplies. To meet its increasingly complex performance requirements from retail partners, saturn petcare needs smooth-running, efficient solutions. Manufacturing competence and customer-oriented product finishing are the keywords here.
Production and packing for saturn petcare's customers are handled by three sites in Bremen, Nettetal and Hattem (NL). To meet the IT challenges posed in these areas, serv.it gmbh is supported by serv.io gmbh as the logistics service provider for the heristo Group.
SAP FI/CO has been deployed at heristo AG for many years now. SAP ERP (SAP Enterprise-Resource-Planning) is currently being rolled out to handle operational business processes at the subsidiaries in partnership with serv.it.
The first subsidiary chosen for the rollout was saturn petcare. Previously, the logistics subsidiary serv.io had decided to retire the external warehouse management, material flow and reporting systems and integrate these functions into SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management).
The goal was to cut the costs of maintenance and interfacing, while also reducing future process modifications to a minimum. Project objectives included service provider handling, transportation planning for other heristo subsidiaries and computerised optimisation of the internal material flow.
The rollout of SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management) was phased in even before the introduction of SAP ERP (SAP Enterprise-Resource-Planning).
- Task and resource management handled entirely within SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management)
- Rollout-ready template for other locations
- Centralised monitoring on the SAP Warehouse Management Monitor
- Resource management
- SAP TE management for HGV shipments
- Dynamic putaway strategy for various types of pallets
- Lowering of outlay for maintenance, service and troubleshooting
- Reduction in systems and sources of error
- No duplicate inventory management, high level of transparency even for moving stock
- By optimising the system fill level, the SAP implementation project managed to significantly increase overall efficiency
- Lowering of outlay for functional and process enhancements
It was important for us to entrust a strong integration partner with many years of SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management) and SAP MFS (SAP Material Flow System) project experience for our project . IGZ has complied with commitments to deadlines and the project budget and implemented the project to the utmost satisfaction.
SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management): WAREHOUSE MANAGEMENT
- Internal cross-docking direct to outbound delivery
- Multi-client-capable system
- HU management
- Batch management
- Shelf-life expiry date management
SAP EWM Value-Added Services: PICK AND PACK PROCESSES
- Display generation (value-added service)
- Removal strategy optimised for uniform article distribution
- Automated replenishment control by minimum stock level
- PLC-scales integration
SAP MFS (SAP Material Flow System): MATERIAL FLOW
- Direct SAP-PLC connectivity
- Putaway strategy for a variety of shelf heights and pallet types
- Goods-optimised stacker crane acceleration
- Optimisation of shipping output with pallet doubling
- Goods issue: up to 2,800 pallets per day
- Goods receipt: up to 2,600 pallets per day
- Approx. 2 million product units per day in Pick and Pack
- Three-shift operation, 6 days a week
- 9 S7 PLC control units
AUTOMATED HIGH-BAY WAREHOUSE
- 6 aisles, 6 stacker cranes
- 6x 29 interleaving ops per hour
- Approx. 20,000 bays
SAP EWM MILESTONES
- PHASE 1: April 2010 – Replacement of an external material flow controller with SAP EWM/MFS
- PHASE 2: November 2010 – Replacement of the legacy host systems and interfacing of SAP EWM to SAP ERP, mapping of Kit-to-Stock in EWM
Download case study