- SAP WAREHOUSING
- SAP AUTOMATION / GU
- Industry sector
- SAP WM/LES/TRM
CUTTING-EDGE TECHNOLOGY FOR GERMANY’S OLDEST CLOTH MILL
The family-run Mehler business, the oldest cloth mill in Germany, invested in a centralized and automated high-bay storage system at its Tirschenreuth site. The key focus was on coordinated storage and removals for the raw materials, rolls of cloth and goods to be shipped.
The Mehler cloth mill was founded over 350 years ago as a family business located in Tirschenreuth. Today, it is led by Managing Directors Paulus and Ludwig Mehler, who are the 11th generation of the family.
This makes the Mehler cloth mill the oldest cloth manufacturer and the 29th oldest industrial business in Germany.
Furthermore, the scope of the production, which ranges “from the wool to the finished textile” is unique in Germany.
Alongside uniform, official and loden fabrics, their products also encompass wage equipment and special products, e.g., for the furniture sector.
To respond to the dynamism and cost pressure of the market it is essential for the Mehler cloth mill to store a large assortment of goods. Since the variety and quantity of the products is constantly growing the previous concept required reorganization.
The aim of the project was to amalgamate the decentralized storage areas to achieve as high a density as possible. Another important aspect of the investment in a new warehouse space for the automated cloth and pallet warehouses was to reduce the increased error quota for goods returned to a minimum.
In this context IGZ Automation was responsible, as the general contractor, for the various elements including planning, project management, steel construction, mechanics and control technology.
- Reducing interim storage; the space-saving initiative has made the production design more transparent and efficient.
- Appropriate storage of goods
- Faster order processing thanks to organized warehousing
- Simplifies the physical aspects of warehousing
- Lower inventory costs
- Personnel-related cost savings within the warehouse area
- Fewer false entries thanks to a higher degree of automation
- 2-lane warehouse with 2,016 tray spaces [mm] 1740 x 1240 x 540
- 4 storage racks at the workstations in front of the tray storage
- 1-lane warehouse with 648 Euro pallet spaces [mm] 1300 x 900 x 2000 or 216 cloth pallets [mm] 1200 x 1600 x 1600
- 2 combined storage and removal lines
- Conveyor systems with contour check
- A TCP/IP camera is installed at every RBG for analysis and monitoring purposes.
- Weighing of all loading units for checking (inventory)