MIGRATION OF SAP LES TO SAP EWM TEMPLATE FOR INTERNATIONAL ROLLOUT
In the course of upgrading its Warehouse Management System (WMS), Continental has replaced its 17-year-old bespoke SAP WM solution "WAMOS" with SAP Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) as the company's strategic platform.
For the rollout of this platform to over 70 logistics centres, a SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management) template was developed that covers all of the core logistics processes at Continental Tyres. This solution means new process requirements can be put into practice.
Formed in 1871, the company is now one of the most familiar tyre makers and suppliers to the worldwide automotive industry, thanks to its know-how in tyre and brake technology and vehicle dynamics control, as well as in electrical and sensor systems. At over 200 locations, which comprise production plant, research centres and test tracks, the company employs people in 46 countries.
The product portfolio ranges from drive components, fittings and foils through to synthetic leathers and technical surface materials. With its new retreading/recycling plant in Stöcken, Continental has also unmistakably raised the bar in terms of sustainability and a capacity for technological innovation.
Continental is deploying ECC 6.0 EHP 6 to handle operational business IT. As part of upgrading the WMS (Warehouse Management System), the SAP WM solution WAMOS is being replaced piece by piece after 17 years, as it is effectively unable to handle new business requirements arising from the highly-customised system environment.
The sheer diversity of requirements and individual enhancements added have made system handling increasingly more difficult and operational risk has risen accordingly. In addition, further development of SAP LES (SAP Logistics Execution System) was discontinued in 2005 by SAP, which necessitated the migration to a new generation of warehouse management systems.
The introduction of SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management) as a strategic platform
simplifies the administration and management of complex warehousing systems. SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management) is an integral part of the innovative SAP SCM (SAP Supply Chain Management) product suite and offers extensive integration with all SAP modules. The SAP EWM template solution gives Continental the ability to cover the requirements of 70 separate sites worldwide.
SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management) Radio Frequency
- Radio frequency control of all warehouse processes
- Radio frequency support for dispatch staging
- Mobile label printing
- Graphical user interface with touchscreen
SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management) Picking
- Transportation-linked picking
- Just-in-time optimisation of warehouse orders
- Paperless picking
- Staging for dispatch
SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management) Transportation
- Route monitor for transportation planning/rescheduling
- Use of shipping HUs
- Multi-modal handling
- Mobile loading checks
- SAP ECC 6.0 EHP 6
- SAP SCM with EWM 7.01 (SAP Extended Warehouse Management)
- Task and resource management handled entirely within SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management)
- RF technology for a range of scanner functions
- Uniform coverage of all sites thanks to comprehensive integration of SCM and SAP
- Service provider integration with Express Ship interface
- eITS mobile for radio frequency (mobile handhelds/forklift terminals)
- Shelf life expiry date management
- Inclusion of the LE-TRA interface to transfer shipments from or to ERP
- Template for worldwide rollout
- Use of Kit-to-Stock
70 logistics centres worldwide
- Europe: 31
- Asia: 19
- Australia: 3
- Africa: 5
- South America: 2
- North America: 11
(As of 11/2013)
- Jarplund-Weding (DE)
- Isernhagen (DE)
- Askim (NO)
- Neuendorf (CH)
- EWM template preparation 2012–2013
- Rollout to all centres by 2016
Download Case Study