- production supply
- Plant Data Collection (PDC)
- machine interfacing
- SAP ME
- SAP MII
- SAP PCO
- SAP EWM
With SAP ME and SAP EWM, we have a complete manufacturing and warehousing solution from a single source, which fully covers our needs.
Jochen Hebe | Competence Center Manufacturing
EXPLOITING THE SYNERGIES OF SAP ME AND SAP EWM
As part of the ContiLifeCycle Initiative, Continental has opened a new tyre retreading and recycling plant at Stöcken (near Hannover, Germany). With its retreading system for HGV and bus tyres – a world first – Continental is now taking the lead in its industry.
For its new plant, Continental decided to deploy SAP Manufacturing Execution (SAP ME) and SAP Extended Warehouse Management (SAP EWM) as the core software platform, to ensure the optimal mapping of processes in production and logistics.
Formed in 1871, the company is now one of the most familiar tyre makers and suppliers to the worldwide automotive industry, thanks to its know-how in tyre and brake technology and vehicle dynamics control, as well as in electrical and sensor systems. At over 200 locations, which comprise production plant, research centres and test tracks, the company employs people in 46 countries.
The product portfolio ranges from drive components, fittings and foils through to synthetic leathers and technical surface materials. With its new retreading/recycling plant in Stöcken, Continental has also unmistakably raised the bar in terms of sustainability and a capacity for technological innovation.
In the course of establishing its fully-integrated tyre retreading and recycling plant, Continental is pursuing its existing SAP strategy and once again deploying the tried-and-tested SAP software suite. With SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management), a module is being deployed for production logistics which has been field-tested and successfully deployed at Continental for many years.
SAP ME (SAP Manufacturing Execution), on the other hand, offers complete coverage for production requirements: in SAP, Continental therefore has a suite supplier who offers an end-to-end manufacturing and warehousing solution from a single source. As well as seamless integration into the existing ERP backend, intuitive usability and a high level of acceptance plus rapid familiarisation of end users were the key factors for this decision.
- SAP ECC 6.0
- SAP Manufacturing Execution (ME 6.1)
- SAP Extended Warehouse Management (EWM 7.0)
- SAP Plant Connectivity (PCO 2.3)
- Direct interface from SAP ME (SAP Manufacturing Execution) to SAP EWM (SAP Extended Warehouse Management)
- Interfacing of SAP ME (SAP Manufacturing Execution) with (inspection) work centres
- Quality data collection and reporting
- Machine interfacing to approx. 40 machines via OPC UA
- Test & Repair work centres
- eITS mobile for radio frequency (mobile handhelds plus forklift terminals)
- Extended production data collection and reporting
Stöcken (near Hannover, Germany)
- Reopening 2013
- 17,000 m² base area
- 100 new jobs created
- Project duration < 6 months
- Approx. 40 machines
- Approx. 20 different types of work centre
- Management of Work-in-Process stock
- 150,000 retreaded tyres per year
- 1,500 tonnes of rubber recycled annually